Saturday, June 27, 2015

How the Internet, the Web, and Social Media Connects Us to Others

One of the earliest social networking sites which I used was actually not Myspace or Facebook.

It was a social networking platform for artists called Artmesh.

It was started by a group of German entrepreneurs-artists who wanted to create a place where artists could meet up and show their art and to network. It was a very succesful networking site and I met some very interesting people including a future girlfriend of mine and I still have contact with people who I met there. .

Another site which I would use (at this time I was already using Myspace) was a placed called ArtReview who also have their own magazine. I met many people here who were not only interested in meeting others i.e artists like themselves but also "entrepreneurs" who wanted to help others artists succeed.

And this is in fact not the first time I started "networking" with others.

The first time I actually started to "network" was when I would download music from Napster. I remember just wanting to download all the music I could and the way to do that on Napster was download music which was being shared by others on the same network.

Another way I would network others and I which I attempted to use as a means to make myself known as a professional gamer was when I would play FIFA 07 and 08 on Playstation 2. I would network on there because I wanted to meet others who were as interested as I was in playing this great realistic video game because I wanted to be known as a great soccer mind online at that time.

Myspace started as a place for musicians especially to show their music and then it came to be known as the place to be so I as I heard about this, I went there and began using at a place to network with others and to show my music and art but more importantly, it was a place to say what I wanted and felt and to share what I wanted to share and also it was a place to become part of a community.

Myspace provided a means of communication to others where otherwise you would not have been able to communicate to people that you can find on there.I remember hearing about Facebook and not liking at first so just remained with Myspace and somehow or another I started using Facebook and eventually I stopped using Myspace and used Facebook as my main tool of expression.

I used Facebook as a way to network but more importantly, it was a means to say what I wanted to say to others and to make myself known all over that place for the purpose of getting into art shows and exhibits and I just wanted to be known and known everyone I possibly and Facebook afforded that to me.

.Facebook and similar sites have shortended the gap of distance and communication and it effectively makes you more social and it connects you to others in a way which is not possible for many to do if they did not have access to the internet and the world wide web, it just wouldn't happen if these networks didn't exist.

Sites such as Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Twitter and Pinterest provide you with the means to communicate even more about what you do and what you like as well providing the service of being able to communicate to others whom you would not have access to otherwise.

Sites like this bring people together and connect them in a virtual space where we can connect with one another as we would if we were actually there with them and what is more than that, the internet and the world wide web, and sites such as these provide a valuable service to others.

Sites such as Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Twitter. Vimeo, ,Google +, Youtube, Pinterest and others provide you with the means to communicate even more about what you do and what you like as well as providing the service of being able to communicate to others whom you would not have access to otherwise and giving you the means to be a social person and to be what you want to be without a lot of limitations. So it makes your more free somewhat and that is why so many people like it.

And now, applications like Meerkat and Periscope have applied another layer of communication possibility by giving you the means to broadcast yourself in such an easy to understand way. With the simplicity of pushing a few buttons, you are online and being seen potentially by hundreds and hundreds of people

The service these networking sites provide is fast communication and a place to make friends and connections and a chance to a part of a community. This is the valuable service supplied to you.

The acquisition of a tool and means of communication and the connection which is afforded to you to so many people is what makes these tools so valuable and so loved and cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment